Building is circa 1900. Nelson’s Dry Good Store opened in 1910 and the family lived upstairs. After prohibition, both the bar and back bar got hauled over the frozen Lake Superior from Ashland and the “Black and White Bar” opened before Christmas in 1934. When the Bates Family bought the building the bar became “Bates Bar” and operated until 2000. Mary H. Rice currently owns the building and the space operates as a local art gallery. Stop in to view the grand old bar that is still intact, although we are not serving alcohol anymore, come admire the tin ceilings and see a pinhole of Bayfield history. For the 2017 season, we are representing over 50 talented local artists. Mediums include glass, ceramics, sweetgrass, wood, printmaking, fiber and more!